Today, Schilke Music Products continues to offer the highest level of expertise in assisting musicians when determining what mouthpiece might work best for their playing needs.
A mouthpiece is created of several components or variables that greatly influence a player’s sound. These variables include rim contour or rim shape, inner rim diameter or cup diameter, cup shape or cup volume, the throat, the backbore and shank or stem. All of these components play a major role in the final sound production on a brass instrument.
General knowledge of these concepts and how they work can only assist the player in selecting equipment that improves their sound.
- Available sizes: 5A4, 6A4a, 7B4, 8A4, 8E2, 9, 9C4, 10A4a, 10A4, 10B4, 11A, 11Ax, 11C2, 11, 11D4, 1E, 12A4a, 12A4, 12B4, 12, 13A4a, 13B, 13, 13C4, 13D4, 14A4a, 14A4, 14A4x, 14B, 14C2, 14
- Model number: The model number references 4 areas—Cup Diameter, Cup Volume, Rim Contour, and Backbore
- Cup Diameter: Smallest numbers are the smallest diameter; diameter sizes increases as the number increases
- Cup Volume: A—Small, shallow; B—Medium Small; C—Standard, medium; D—Medium Large; E—Large
- Rim Contour: 1—Roundest; 2—Semi-Round; 3—Standard; 4—Semi-Flat; 5—Flattest
- Backbore: a—Tight; b—Straight, slightly more open; c—Standard; d—Medium-Large, slightly curved out; e—Large; x—Piccolo, Extra Large
- Finish: Gold
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Lead, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, and to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- 15A4a: 17.14mm, .675 inch cup diameter; 27 throat. A larger diameter mouthpiece with a shallow A cup and tight a-backbore for upper register playing. Number 4 semi-flat rim offers comfort in upper register.
- 15A4: 17.14mm, .675 inch cup diameter; 27 throat. Same as the 15A4a but with a larger c-backbore for an open feel.
- 15B: 17.12mm, .674 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. With the same diameter as the model 15, this mouthpiece includes B style cup which produces a more brilliant sound than the standard model 15 mouthpiece.
- 15: 17.12mm, .674 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. An excellent all-around mouthpiece which offers a free blowing, clear sound.
- 15C4: 17.14mm, .675 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. This mouthpiece is similar to the model 15 but with the number 4 semi-flat rim for increased endurance.
- 16B4: 17.20mm, .677 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. Same as the model 16C4 except the shallower, medium-small B cup offers more resistance, providing a brighter quality of sound. The 16B4 is an excellent choice for Eb trumpet when a player requires a bigger rim diameter.
- 16C4: 17.20mm, .677 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. Similar to the 16 in dimensions, this mouthpiece offers a number 4 semi-flat rim for a more traditional feel and increased endurance.
- 16: 17.20mm, .677 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. This medium-large diameter mouthpiece produces a full, free blowing quality.
- 16C2: 17.20mm, .677 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. This model offers the same options as the model 16, but instead offers a number 2 rim for increased flexibility.
- 17B4: 17.33mm, .682 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. Well suited for the player looking for a shallower cup in a larger diameter. Medium-small B cup offers more brilliance for projection with number 4 semi-flat rim for comfort.
- 17: 17.33mm, .682 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. A compromise of all the medium characteristics, this mouthpiece is an excellent medium to large diameter mouthpiece.
- 17D4: 17.33mm, .682 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. This mouthpiece includes a deeper D cup and number 4 semi-flat rim for improved endurance.
- 17D4d: 17.33mm, .682 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. A larger blowing mouthpiece than the 17D4 because of the increase d-backbore.
- 18B4: 17.52mm, .690 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. Ideal for a classical player looking for a commercial sound, the medium shallow cup and semi-flat rim provide resistance and comfort for upper register playing. Cup shape offers some sparkle in the sound with enough volume for tone.
- 18: 17.52mm, .690 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. The high point being nearer to the center makes this mouthpiece feel smaller than it is. The standard characteristics produce a rich, brilliant tone.
- 18C3d: 17.52mm, .690 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. Similar in dimension to the model 18 but with a larger d-backbore producing a large, teutonic tone.
- 19: 17.65mm, .695 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. The C cup, number 3 rim and standard c-backbore are similar to the model 20 but with a slightly smaller diameter.
- 20: 17.78 mm, .700 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. This large diameter is for the robust embouchure. Original mouthpiece of choice for Renold O. Schilke.
- 20D2d: 17.73mm, .698 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. Similar to the model 20 in diameter but includes a larger D style cup, number 2 semi-round rim and larger d-backbore.
- 22: 18.03mm, .710 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. Similar to the model 20 but with a larger inside diameter.
- 24: 18.29mm, .720 inch cup diameter; 26 throat. Our largest cup diameter offered. This mouthpiece provides a huge volume of sound.