Gibson Custom 1963 Firebird V Murphy Lab Main Features
- 9-ply mahogany/walnut body
- 24.75" scale mahogany/walnut neck with 22-fret, 12" radius Indian rosewood fretboard
- Firebird Alnico 5 humbuckers with handwired CTS electronics and a Switchcraft 3-way selector
- ABR-1 bridge, Maestro Vibrola tailpiece, Deluxe banjo tuning machines
Classic ConstructionConceptualized by automotive designer Ray Dietrich, the Firebird turned what was possible for solidbody electric guitars upside down when Gibson first released it in the early ’60s. The Firebird V is a modern re-creation of that iconic and exciting ’60s design. The mahogany/walnut body construction delivers detailed tone and long sustain.
Strong Neck With a Vintage FeelThe Murphy Lab Firebird V is as close as you’ll come to picking up and strumming away on the original. For fans of that true, vintage feel, the strong, 9-ply mahogany/walnut neck delivers all that and more. It’s constructed with an authentic ’63 Medium C profile with a neck-through construction for great sustain. The Indian rosewood fretboard has extra-rolled binding for that heavily played look and feel and it’s affixed with hide glue. The inlays are aged cellulose nitrate shaped into trapezoids.
Timeless ToneGibson saves its best pickups for Custom Shop instruments. This Murphy Lab guitar is loaded with dual Firebird Alnico V pickups to serve up that classic Firebird tone. The handwired CTS electronics and a Switchcraft 3-way selector deliver a healthy dose of classic rock sounds.
Historic HardwareThis Murphy Lab Firebird V locks in the tone with an ABR-1 adjustable bridge with a vintage-accurate Maestro Vibrola. Completing the historic look are Deluxe banjo tuners and heavily aged nickel hardware.
Ultra Light Aged FinishMaster Artisan Tom Murphy was instrumental in the creation of Gibson Custom Shop. For the last 25 years, he's replicated the look of vintage guitars on new instruments. This Gibson Firebird V goes through his Ultra Light aging process. There is slight lacquer checking, but very little playing wear. It looks like an instrument that has spent most of its life in the case.
The Gibson Custom Murphy Lab 1963 Firebird V comes with a certificate of authenticity and an aged brown and pink Lifton reissue 5-latch hard case.
- Multi-piece mahogany/walnut body and neck
- Solid Indian rosewood fingerboard with 22 vintage-style frets
- Very lightly aged by the Murphy Lab aging process
- Two AlNiCo V Mini-humbuckers
- Vintage-style individual saddle bridge
- Vintage-style tuners
- Hard shell case included
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- Body Type: Offset Solid Body
- Body wood: Multi-piece mahogany/walnut
- Body finish: Aged Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck shape: Vintage Medium C
- Neck wood: Multi-piece mahogany/walnut
- Joint: Neck-through
- Scale length: 24.75"
- Truss rod: Vintage
- Neck finish: Aged Nitrocellulose lacquer
- Material: Solid Indian rosewood
- Radius: 12"
- Fret size: Vintage-style
- Number of frets: 22
- Inlays: Celluloid Trapezoid
- Nut width/material: 1.687"/Nylon
- Configuration: HH
- Neck: Proprietary Humbucker
- Bridge: Proprietary Humbucker
- Control layout: Individual volume, Individual tone
- Pickup switch: 3-Way
- Bridge type: Tremolo/Vibrato
- Bridge design: Vintage-style Individual saddle
- Tailpiece: Vibrato
- Tuning machines: Vintage-style
- Color: Nickel
- Number of strings: 6 String
- Case: Hardshell case
- Orientation: Right-handed
- Country of Origin: United States