Universal Audio LA-610 Mk II Classic Tube Recording Channel
Videos (2)View All
LA-610 MKII Overview
The Universal Audio LA-610 Mk II channel strip combines the legendary sound of 1960s-era tube preamps and compressors with innovative updates for today's recording needs. The LA-610 Mk II provides the full-bodied warmth and richness of Universal Audio's classic 610 tube mic preamp and T4 opto compressor in a single 2U rack-mountable unit. Universal Audio is proud to offer this channel strip, which brings sought-after vintage tone within reach of any serious home or project studio.
Pristine Tube Preamp Capture Any Source
The LA-610 Mk II's tube mic preamp, based on Bill Putnam's original 610 design, delivers the colorful, dimensional sound that defined '60s-era recordings. With 60dB of gain, it has enough headroom to capture vocals, acoustic instruments, drums—any sound source—with stunning realism and depth. variable input impedance gives you further tonal shaping control.
Musical T4 Opto Compressor
The LA-610 Mk II's T4 opto compressor, also descended from Putnam's original designs, provides smooth, musical dynamic control. With threshold, attack, release, and ratio controls, you can dial in the perfect amount of compression for any track. Opto circuitry and tube makeup gain provide a lush, saturated sound with rich harmonics. New to the Mk II, a compressor bypass switch lets you compare compressed and uncompressed signals.
Enhanced Features for Modern Workflows
While the LA-610 Mk II channels vintage tone, its features cater to today's recording needs. Larger metering offers precise visual monitoring. An auto-sensing power supply provides consistent performance anywhere. Increased output gain gives you more flexibility in your signal chain. With a simple, intuitive layout, the LA-610 Mk II is easy to use but yields complex, professional-caliber results.
Affordable Channel Strip for Any Studio
The LA-610 Mk II brings Universal Audio's sought-after vintage sound within reach of home, project, and commercial studios alike. Capture vocal, instrument, and drum tracks with the dimensional, full-bodied tone that defined '60s era records.
- Based on Legendary Bill Putnam 610 Tube Mic Pre and EQ Used on Countless Classic Recordings
- Authentic Teletronix LA-2A-style T4 Opto-Compressor
- Complete vintage channel-strip at groundbreaking price within project studio reach
- Mic Pre with Gain and Level controls, variable impedance switching, and Instrument DI for recording tone "color"
- Mk II Features such as True Bypass, Larger Metering and Improved Signal Output
- UA build quality and heritage, audiophile components, hand-assembled in the USA
- MK II Improvements:
- True Bypass of the Compressor Circuit
- Larger and Better Lit Metering
- Improved Output Signal Performance
- Auto-Sensing Universal Power Supply
- Improved stability with feedback-style shelving EQ
- Improved consistency with Input Gain values
- LED Jewel Light Never Needs Replacing
- Mic, Line and Hi-Z Input, Line Output
- Dual Impedance Mic and Hi-Z inputs (Mic: 2K, 500OHMS, Hi-Z: 2.2M, 47Kohms)
- 5 position Stepped Preamp Input Gain, Continuous Preamp Output Level
- -15dB Pad Switch (15dB Pad/Off)
- Phase reverse (0/180)
- 48 volt Phantom Power switch (+48v/Off)
- ± 9 dB stepped High Shelving Filter (4.5, 7, 10 kHz)
- ± 9 dB stepped Low Shelving Filter (70, 100, 200 Hz)
- T4 Optical Compressor with Continuous Peak Reduction and Makeup Gain
- Compress/Limit/Bypass Modes of Dynamic Operation (3:1 / ?: 1)
- Meter Source Selector Switch (Preamp/Gain Reduction/Compressor)
- Front Panel Power switch (On/Off)
- Custom Altran and Cinemag Transformers
- Microphone Input Impedance: Selectable, 500 Ohms or 2k Ohms
- Balanced Line Input Impedance: 20k Ohms
- Hi-Z Input Impedance: Selectable, 2.2M Ohms or 47k Ohms
- Maximum Microphone Input Level: -8 dBu (2K input Imp. & 15 dB Pad in)
- Maximum Output Level: 80 Ohms
- Recommended Minimum Load: 600 Ohms
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz ± 0.5dB
- Maximum Gain: 40 dB (Line), +77dB (Mic)
- Noise Floor: -72 dBu 20 - 20kHz (Line In, unity Gain)
- Compressor Ratio: 3:1, soft knee, program dependent
- Limiter Ratio: ?: 1, soft knee, program dependent
- Attack Time: 10 ms, program dependent
- Release Time: Dual stage: 60 ms for 1st release, then 1 - 15 sec.
- Tube Complement: (3) 12AX7, (1) 12AT7, (1) EL84
- Power Requirements: 100V / 120V / 240V
- Power Consumption: 30 Watts
- Power Connector: Detachable IEC power cable
- Dimensions: 19" W x 3.5" H x 12.25" D (two rack spaces)
- Weight:12 lbs.