Roland SP-404MKII Stones Throw Limited-Edition Sampler and Effector
Videos (1)View All
Roland SP-404MKII "Stones Throw" Edition
A champion of the independent music scene, Stones Throw Records has an illustrious history in the hip-hop genre—with many of their releases featuring Roland’s legendary SP samplers. The Roland SP-404MKII Stones Throw Edition sampler and effector is a righteous celebration of this interwoven legacy, presenting a fully functioning SP-404MKII with a bevy of Stones Throw-themed appointments and extras, including a high-shine aluminum custom faceplate, and mixtape cassette and 7" vinyl record featuring the same samples used by iconic Stones Throw artists such as J Dilla, Madlib, Madvillain, NxWorries, Knxwledge, Sudan Archives and many more.
A Throw to a Touchstone
Roland outdid themselves when they designed the SP-404MKII sampler and effector. They listened intently to the community and, with thoughtful consideration, designed the ideal tool for performers and producers to use samples and effects to suit whatever their creative needs necessitated. From its cutting-edge, portable sampling workflow with 16GB of internal storage to its OLED screen for easy waveform editing and mode navigation, it’s no wonder it became a massive hit with some of the most influential hip-hop and lo-fi electronic artists on the scene—an indispensable staple at Stones Throw Records in particular.
In the Image of an Indie Icon
Since DJ Peanut Butter Wolf founded the label in 1996, Stones Throw has been a touchstone—and a blueprint—for independent music culture. The limited-edition Stones Throw rendition of the SP-404MKII features faceplate and packaging artwork by Jeff Jank, the renowned art director and illustrator on the label’s most seminal releases. This special collab between Roland and Stones Throw not only highlights the trademark aesthetic charm, but also includes 10 banks of royalty-free one-shots, loops and patterns, compliments of the label.
Stones Throw Vinyl and Cassette Mixtape
This edition of the Roland SP-404MKII includes a 7" vinyl featuring a slew of samples from Stones Throw artists Kiefer and Mndsgn—created from their own SP sound banks—letting you record, sample and sonically manipulate them to your liking with the sublime workflow of the 404. It also boasts a cassette mixtape curated by DJ legend J. Rocc, with an exclusive 30-minute mix of Stones Throw artists who use the SP-404MKII.
An Endlessly Versatile Creative Machine
No matter if you’re a beginning artist or a seasoned pro, the SP-404MKII is a streamlined creative powerhouse that’s as easy to use or meticulously fine-tuned as you’d like it to be. With its intuitive interface featuring 17 velocity-sensitive RGB pads, 32 voices of polyphony, 10 banks of sampling content with up to 16 minutes per sample, it’s ready-made for all your creative needs. Take it to the next level with DJ Mode, which turns your SP-404 into a two-channel DJ mixer, seamlessly functioning as left and right decks with the ability to add effects to your heart’s content. Or, plug in a mic or guitar and utilize the effector to fashion totally new sounds as unique as your imagination.
With its peerless style, workflow and heaping helping of exclusive extras, this limited run of Roland Stones Throw SP-404MKIIs is sure to be treasured for years on end. Walk into your local Guitar Center or order here to make this inimitable sampling legend your own today.
- Vivid OLED display for visual waveform editing, full menu access and more
- 17 velocity-sensitive, RGB pads with no-click design
- 16GB internal storage, low-latency pads, and rapid sample editing
- Extensive onboard effects
- Dedicated Vocoder, Auto Pitch, Harmony, Guitar Amp Simulator, and Anti-Feedback processing for the mic/guitar input
- 32-voice polyphony, 160 samples per project and 16 internal projects
- Blazing onboard sample editing with real-time or auto-chop mode, auto BPM detect, envelope, pitch shift, and resampling for layering sounds and phrases
- 144 pre-loaded high-quality, professionally recorded samples and patterns
- Upgraded I/O includes 1/4" line in/out, 1/4" mic/guitar input, 1/4" and 1/8" headphones outputs, and 1/8" TRS MIDI in/out
- Resampling workflow for re-recording with various effects for detailed sound design
- Skip Back Sampling to automatically capture up to 40 seconds of audio from your last performance
- VariPhrase encoder for high-quality time-stretching of pitch and speed parameters
- Bus FX for layering multiple effects, with customizable routing for creating intricate sound textures
- Adjust quantization before or after recording and tweak shuffle percentage across multiple note resolutions to customize swing
- Pattern sequencer with the ability to create full songs with BPM per bank, ideal for running backing tracks or programming performances
- Sequence patterns with real-time loop recording or TR-REC step input
- Motion recording for capturing dynamic changes to effect parameters, sub step, pitch and velocity
- Set shuffle and time signature (1/4–7/4) per pattern
- Chain patterns for automatic playback and use Pad Link to trigger up to four samples with a single press
- Adjustable delay on the MIDI clock output for tight sync with external instruments
- DJ Mode enables new live performance approaches with the ability to mix 2 audio files or patterns, manipulate 8 cue points per sample, adjust fader curves, sync external MIDI instruments, and more