AKG C214 Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone
Videos (1)View All
AKG’s C214 Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone is one of the hottest microphones in the music marketplace today. High-quality microphones have long been dominated by a few companies like Shure or Electro-Voice items, but over the past decade, AKG has become a ready player and their C214 Large Diaphragm microphone offers studio-grade quality that professionals all over the globe have come to love and appreciate.
AKG C214 Compared To Its Sister Mic, the C414B
The AKG C214 is simply a lighter version of the C414B. They share a shock mount capsule design but the C214 offers a cardioid mic pattern while the C414B does not. C214 harnesses a large diaphragm FET condenser that produces 13dBA versus the C414B’s 6dBA but the C214 is still able to produce gorgeous and unfettered resounding tone quality for a plethora of acoustic instruments or guitar cabs.
Added Features of the C214
The C214 includes a -20 dB pad and high pass filter that monitors and blocks any bass frequencies from passing 160 Hz, enabling the mic to handle a much higher sound pressure level of 156 dB (SPL) while in use. It’s crafted with a scratch-resistant, diecast metal with a one-inch edge surrounding and protecting the internal capsule underneath its double-mesh grille. The robust build of the C214 means it is a great road companion and can withstand the daily grind of touring life.
Mics on the Marketplace
One year after AKG released the C214 large diaphragm condenser mic, they followed up with a two-mic stereo set that technically matches the C214. Like many unidirectional mics, the stereo set version can capture even more nuanced performances, particularly for the likes of acoustic guitar, hand percussion or acoustic bass. The stereo pair offers a windscreen and shock mounts and features an elongated grille plate for an aesthetically pleasing look.
- AKG's legendary 1" edge-terminated large-diaphragm sound
- Outstanding dynamic range (up to 156dB SPL, ultra-low noise)
- Roadworthy design
- Integrated suspension to reduce mechanical noise
- Switchable 20dB attenuation pad and low-cut switch
- Rugged, double-mesh grille for high RF immunity but unaffected acoustics
- All-metal die-cast body with shock- and scratch-resistant finish
- Spider-type shockmount included
- Metal carrying case included
- Designed, engineered and built in Vienna, Austria
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- Polar pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency range: 20 to 20,000Hz
- Sensitivity: 20 mV/Pa (-34 dBV)
- Max. SPL: 136/156dB SPL (0/-20dB) (for 0.5% THD)
- Equivalent noise level: 13dB-A to IEC 60268-4 (A-weighted)
- Signal/noise ratio (A-weighted): 81dB
- Preattenuation pad: 0/-20dB (switchable)
- Bass cut filter slope: 160Hz, 6dB/Octave, switchable
- Impedance: <=200 ohms
- Recommended load impedance: >=1,000 ohms
- Supply voltage: 12 to 52 V Phantom power to IEC 61938
- Current consumption: < 2 mA
- Dynamic range: 123/143 dB (0/-20 dB) (A-weighted)
- Connector: IEC standard 3-pin XLR
- Finish matte: grayish blue
- Dimensions: 160 x 55 mm (6.3" x 2.2")
- Net weight: 280 g (0.62 lb.)
- Shipping weight: 1450 g (3.22 lb.)
- Patent(s): Electrostatic transducer (Patent no. AT 395.225, DE 4.103.784, JP 2.815.488)
Amended July 19, 2005
AKG Acoustics warrants AKG products against defects in material or workmanship for a period of two years from the date of original purchase, and agrees to repair or, at our option replace any defective unit without charge for either parts or labor. AKG grants a three-year warranty covering selected products (C 12 VR, C 414 B-ULS, C 414 B-TLII, C 414 B-XLS, C 414 B-XLII, C 426 B, C 451 B, C 480 B, C 391 B, C 1000 B, C 2000 S, C 3000 B, C 4000 B, C 4500 B, SolidTube) against defects in material and workmanship.
Warranty is valid for AKG products purchased and delivered within the United States for the original purchaser only. The purchaser's Bill of Sale will serve as proof of sale and warranty validity in the U.S. Shipment of defective items to AKG for repair will be at the customer's own risk and expense. AKG will assume the return shipping cost for all items repaired under warranty.
IMPORTANT: This warranty does not cover damage resulting from accident, misuse or abuse, lack of reasonable care, the affixing of any attachment not provided with the product, loss of parts, or connecting the product to any receptacle other than specified.
This warranty is void unless AKG Acoustics, U.S.'s service center performs the repair. No responsibility is assumed for any special, incidental or consequential damages caused by the consumer. However, the limitation of any right or remedy shall not be effective where law prohibits such.