Ibanez launched their AZ series solid-body electric guitars in 2018, catering to what they call the “third phase” of guitar playing—the movement of young contemporary guitarists who are transforming the way the instrument is used. This guitar includes the recognizable features of popular Ibanez solid-body electrics, like the smooth Oval C neck, the asymmetrical double cutaway shape and the distinctive neck heel, but this axe has otherwise been redesigned from A to Z with the next generation of electric guitar players in mind. Ibanez is considered a modern, somewhat experimental guitar company, and this AZ series is meant to combine that exploratory approach with their decades of experience.
Built for comfort and longevity
This “AZ242PBG” AZ Premium model electric guitar features a poplar burl top and an American basswood body and back, with an ergonomic back contour and a big forearm contour for a natural, comfortable feel. The recognizable Ibanez body shape employs a deep waist and different radii on each body edge curve, making it easier to play in both standing and sitting positions.
The AZ Premium series uses heat-treated roasted maple for the neck to increase stability, durability, water resistance and tolerance to temperature changes. The fretboard edge is cut with a smooth curve that extends from the border between the fretboard and the neck, and then to the surface of the fretboard. The Ibanez “Super All Access” neck joint increases playability and eases access to the highest frets. And thanks to stainless-steel construction, these 24 jumbo frets boast excellent corrosion resistance. The AZ242PBG is also equipped with Luminlay side dot position marks, making it easy for players to see the markings when performing on dark stages.
New electronics in collaboration with Seymour Duncan and GOTOH
The custom Seymour Duncan Hyperion pickup for the AZ features a moderate output through Alnico-5 magnets to keep the clarity of the fundamental tone when using a distortion sound, and to deliver a clear pick attack. From treble to bass, and from high-E string to low-E string, the overall tonal balance is evenly adjusted and works well with various effect pedals. The metal covers on the Humbucker Hyperion pickups give a classical look and moderated sound.
The T1502 Tremolo Bridge comes from a collaboration between GOTOH and Ibanez. It features steel saddles and a die-cast zinc tremolo block for a quick response and improved articulation. The 10.5 mm string spacing allows for easy picking across strings, including techniques such as string skipping and hybrid picking. Ibanez also worked with GOTOH to add their Magnum Lock machine heads, which have an established reputation for tuning stability. Plus, the built-in H.A.P. (Height Adjustable Post) system allows for the adjustment of string posts for the appropriate tension of each string.
Lastly, this AZ guitar brings it all together with the dyna-MIX 10 system and Alter switch, which combine to offer ten sound variations in one electric guitar. Players can easily switch between humbucker and single coil modes with just the mini switch, or use the Alter switch to access the increased range of voices. The power tap mode provides a realistic single coil electric guitar sound from this HH configuration.
- 6-string basswood electric guitar with poplar burl top
- dyna-MIX 10 system with alter switch for 10 distinct variations
- GOTOH tremolo with 2-point floating bridge
- Asymmetrical double-cutaway body design with smoothed edges
- Oval C neck and fingerboard made from heat-treated roasted maple
- New Seymour Duncan Hyperion pickups in HH configuration
- 24 Jumbo stainless steel frets
- GOTOH locking tuning machines with adjustable posts
- Luminlay side dots for finding scales in the dark
- Includes gig bag
- Body shape: Double Cutaway
- Body type: Solid body
- Body material: Solid wood
- Top wood: Burl Poplar
- Body wood: Basswood
- Neck shape: Oval C
- Neck wood: Roasted Maple
- Joint: Bolt-on
- Scale length: 25.5"
- Material: Roasted Maple
- Radius: 12"
- Fret size: Jumbo
- Number of frets: 24
- Inlays: Dot
- Nut width/material: 1.656 in. (42 mm) GraphTech
- Configuration: HH
- Neck: Seymour Duncan Alnico Humbucker
- Bridge: Seymour Duncan Alnico Humbucker
- Control layout: Master volume, Master tone
- Pickup switch: 5-Way
- Special electronics: dyna-MIX 10 switching system
- Bridge type: Tremolo/Vibrato
- Bridge design: 2-point tremolo, Individual saddle
- Tailpiece: Floating Vibrato
- Tuning machines: Locking
- Color: Gold
- Number of strings: 6-string
- Case: Gig Bag
- Orientation: Right handed
- Country of Origin: Japan
Warranty terms vary. Check with manufacturer for specific product warranty.
Guitar Center's Pro Coverage
Pro Coverage gives you added warranty protection for your gear. Stepping in where the manufacturer's "normal wear and tear" coverage ends, our Pro Coverage program offers you upgraded coverage if your product ever fails Click To Read More About This Product.
Pro Coverage includes
- Accidental damage protection
- Expedited repair or replacement
- Free shipping (for returns or repairs)
- 100% coverage for commercial use
- Extended price protection
- No lemon guarantee
- Free transfer of coverage to a new owner
- Repair costs covered for up to five years from date of purchase
- Repair authorization-toll-free by phone or via the web