Gibson Custom 1963 Firebird V Murphy Lab Main Features
- 9-ply mahogany/walnut body
- 24.75" scale mahogany/walnut neck with 22-fret, 12" radius Indian rosewood fretboard
- Firebird Alnico 5 humbuckers with handwired CTS electronics and a Switchcraft 3-way selector
- ABR-1 bridge, Maestro Vibrola tailpiece, Deluxe banjo tuning machines
Classic ConstructionConceptualized by automotive designer Ray Dietrich, the Firebird turned what was possible for solidbody electric guitars upside down when Gibson first released it in the early ’60s. The Firebird V is a modern re-creation of that iconic and exciting ’60s design. The mahogany/walnut body construction delivers detailed tone and long sustain.
Strong Neck With a Vintage FeelThe Murphy Lab Firebird V is as close as you’ll come to picking up and strumming away on the original. For fans of that true, vintage feel, the strong, 9-ply mahogany/walnut neck delivers all that and more. It’s constructed with an authentic ’63 Medium C profile with a neck-through construction for great sustain. The Indian rosewood fretboard has extra-rolled binding for that heavily played look and feel and it’s affixed with hide glue. The inlays are aged cellulose nitrate shaped into trapezoids.
Timeless ToneGibson saves its best pickups for Custom Shop instruments. This Murphy Lab guitar is loaded with dual Firebird Alnico V pickups to serve up that classic Firebird tone. The handwired CTS electronics and a Switchcraft 3-way selector deliver a healthy dose of classic rock sounds.
Historic HardwareThis Murphy Lab Firebird V locks in the tone with an ABR-1 adjustable bridge with a vintage-accurate Maestro Vibrola. Completing the historic look are Deluxe banjo tuners and heavily aged nickel hardware.
Authentically Aged FinishTom Murphy was instrumental in setting up the Gibson Custom Shop. For the last 25 years, he’s perfected the art and science of aging instruments. Murphy’s team gives this Firebird V a Heavy aged finish—you’ll see dings, pick trails and areas with flaking finish. The edges of the instrument are softened throughout.
The Gibson Custom Murphy Lab 1963 Firebird V comes with a certificate of authenticity and an aged brown and pink Lifton reissue 5-latch hard case.
- Multi-piece mahogany/walnut neck-thru design
- Alnico V mini-humbucker pickups
- Deluxe banjo tuners
- Hot-stamped 3-ply pickguard
- Heavily aged with the Murphy Lab aging process
- Tremolo bridge
- Hard shell case included
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- Body Type: Offset Solid Body
- Body wood: Multi-piece Mahogany/Walnut
- Body finish: Aged Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck shape: C
- Neck wood: Multi-piece Mahogany/Walnut
- Scale length: 24.75"
- Truss rod: Vintage
- Neck finish: Aged Nitrocellulose lacquer
- Material: Indian rosewood
- Radius: 12"
- Fret size: Vintage-style
- Number of frets: 22
- Inlays: Celluloid Trapezoid
- Nut width/material: 1.687"/Nylon
- Configuration: HH
- Neck: Proprietary Humbucker
- Bridge: Proprietary Humbucker
- Control layout: Individual volume, Individual tone
- Pickup switch: 3-Way
- Bridge type: Tremolo/Vibrato
- Bridge design: Vintage-style individual saddle
- Tailpiece: Vibrato
- Tuning machines: Vintage-style
- Color: Nickel
- Number of strings: 6 String
- Case: Hardshell case
- Orientation: Right-handed
- Country of Origin: United States