Gibson Custom Murphy Lab 1959 ES-335 Main Features
- 3-ply maple/poplar/maple body with Light aging
- Mahogany neck with 1959 medium C-shape, Indian Rosewood fretboard
- Dual alnico III CustomBuckers (unpotted), 3-way switch
- ABR-1 tune-o-matic bridge, aluminum stopbar tailpiece, Kluson single line, single ring tuners
’59 ES-335 ConstructionWhen Gibson President Ted McCarty cooked up the ES-335, his goal was to make an acoustic-looking guitar that sounded like a solidbody. The 3-ply maple/poplar/maple construction is lightweight like an acoustic; a solid maple center block reduces feedback, but doesn't eliminate it. Use that as an opportunity to harness the feedback musically, like famed Gibson players Freddie King, Alvin Lee and Alex Lifeson.
Chunky Mahogany NeckThe solid mahogany neck has an authentic 1959 medium C-shape—a chunkier profile than ’60s models. The long tenon joint is set with period-correct hide glue. Medium jumbo frets facilitate big bends on the Indian Rosewood fretboard.
Authentic ElectronicsWhen the ES-335 was first released, Gibson said the PAF pickup was "essential for clear, sparkling, sustaining tone." These alnico III CustomBuckers capture the exact same magic. Unpotted, they're topped with authentic profile nickel silver covers. The hand-wired harness uses CTS 500K pots and paper-in-oil capacitors.
Timeless HardwareAll of the hardware on the ’59 ES 335 reissue matches original specs, from the ABR-1 tune-o-matic bridge and the aluminum stop bar tailpiece to the Kluson single line, single ring tuners. Each piece is lightly aged by the Murphy Lab.
Light Aged FinishMaster Artisan Tom Murphy was instrumental in the creation of Gibson Custom Shop. For the last 25 years, he's perfected the art of aging guitars. Using his techniques, the Murphy Lab applies a Light aging to this Gibson. You'll see dings, pick trails, finish flaking and worn edges all over the body. The end result is a guitar that appears used—but not abused—after 60 years of playing.
The Gibson Custom Murphy Lab ES-335 Reissue comes with a certificate of authenticity and a brown/pink Lifton reissue 5-latch case.
- 3-ply Maple/Poplar/Maple construction
- Lightly aged with the Murphy Lab aging process
- Solid mahogany neck with 22 frets
- Pearloid dot inlays
- ABR-1 bridge
- Two Custombucker Alnico III pickups
- Hard shell case included
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- Body wood: Maple/Poplar/Maple
- Neck shape: Medium C
- Neck wood: Solid Mahogany
- Scale length: 24.75"
- Truss rod: Standard
- Material: Indian rosewood
- Radius: 12"
- Number of frets: 22
- Inlays: Dot
- Nut width/material: 1.687"/Nylon
- Configuration: HH
- Neck: Proprietary Humbucker
- Bridge: Proprietary Humbucker
- Control layout: Individual volume, Individual tone, Individual volume, Individual tone
- Bridge type: Fixed Bridge
- Tailpiece: Stopbar
- Tuning machines: Vintage-style
- Color: Nickel
- Number of strings: 6 String
- Case: Hardshell case
- Orientation: Right-handed
- Country of Origin: United States