The Dangerous MASTER integrates analog processing into the modern mastering environment by providing insert loops, sum and difference (mid-side) processing, monitoring level offset and stereo image width control, thus transforming your current high-end outboard equalizers and compressors into a professional mastering rig."The Dangerous MASTER ... Click To Read More About This Product
Temporarily Out of Stockout_of_stock
The Dangerous MASTER integrates analog processing into the modern mastering environment by providing insert loops, sum and difference (mid-side) processing, monitoring level offset and stereo image width control, thus transforming your current high-end outboard equalizers and compressors into a professional mastering rig.
"The Dangerous MASTER and MONITOR are the centerpiece of my mastering rig. Sonic accuracy, paired with just the right features set Dangerous apart. Nothing else on the market comes close to the sound quality, headroom, and reliability of the Dangerous gear." -Dave Kutch, The Mastering Palace
(Biggie, Puff Daddy, Lauryn Hill, Jill Scott, Missy Elliot...)
The Dangerous Music Legacy:
"Audio Integrity: non-negotiable." This is the credo upon which Dangerous Music is founded. Conceived and designed by end users-not by engineers in lab coats--the results are products that resurrect dynamic range, punch, intelligibility and emotion. These high-fidelity, uncompromised signal paths are achieved by harnessing over 20 years of Chris Muth's design wizardry; creator of infamous custom black boxes for world class facilities like Hit Factory, Masterdisk, Absolute Audio and Sterling Sound Mastering. Then the critical listening skills of golden-eared luminaries are applied, with the result being musical tools that fulfill the actual needs of today's flexible computer based studio.
There is a reason why 50% of Billboard's top 100 hits pass through Sterling Sound - the engineers and the gear they use. Decades of partnership and feedback between Dangerous Music designer Chris Muth and engineering legends like Greg Calbi, George Marino and Chris Athens during the design process created real-world mastering tools that define the post-vinyl mastering signal chain. The Dangerous MASTER incorporates 25 years of this mastering and design experience.
L & R Input
• Feature: The stepped input level controls allow the engineer to set precise balance and operating levels which feeds the equipment selected by the insert buttons
• Benefit: Precise, repeatable moves with impeccable imaging at every volume
• Tip: 10 dB range in 0.5 dB steps
• Feature: in 1-2 selects the stereo input to process
• Benefit: Compare and contrast different mix sources
• Tip: Normal a D/A to the first input and wire the second input to a patchbay or tape machine
• Feature: in-out mon selects whether the input (preprocessed) or output (post processed) is routed to the monitor output jacks
• Benefit: A/B between the original and your mastered version
• Feature: Determines whether insert 2 is in stereo or middle sides mode
• Benefit: Splits stereo into middle and sides, thereby allowing the engineer to resuscitate seemingly unsalvageable tracks by altering vocal levels without touching the mix, by fixing overly wide or narrow stereo fields, by de-essing aggressive cymbal hits while leaving the center lead untouched or compressing the center for level and punch, without destroying the stereo image. Make it loud while preserving dynamics
Input Monitor Offset
• Feature: Adjust the level of the input monitor to match the output levee
• Benefit: Reference original and mastered versions without volume bias clouding one's judgment
• Tip: By matching input and output levels, the relative gain obtained from the mastering process may be determined, since this control has a scale of -2 to +8dB in 0.5 dB steps
• Feature: Connect your favorite analog outboard gear here
• Benefit: Instantly audition or bypass different combinations
• Tip: If you need more inserts, either gang the gear or wire one to a patchbay (Remember... more isn't necessarily better)
• Feature: This insert may be operated in stereo or middle sides mode as dictated by the S&M switch
• Benefit: Alter the center pan information of a mix without affecting the sides and vice versa
• Example: If the lead vocal is too bright, but the guitars panned to the sides are dull, use a stereo EQ in S&M to fix both problems
S&M Width Control
• Feature: Adjust the width of the stereo image (S&M button must be engaged)
• Benefit: Widen or narrow the stereo field after the mix is in the can
• Tip: Even with insert 2 deactivated, audio will pass through the matrix if the S&M switch is selected
• Feature: Determines the final level presented to the A/D converter with a range of 10 dB in 0.5 dB steps.
• Benefit: Hit the subsequent A/D converter or 2-track with the perfect level
• Tip: Periodically run the switches through their travel to gently spread the lubricants around inside and wipe the contacts clean (contact cleaners will wash the grease out)
Inputs 1 & 2
• Feature: Inputs are accessed on standard XLR(F) Neutrik connectors
• Benefit: (1) Locking connectors avoid mishap and skullduggery; (2) Superior surface area contact than a balanced 1/4 in. jacks means more excited electrons (more signal); (3) Neutrik means a better fit than a simulacrum
Born In The USA
• Feature: Hand-assembled in the USA
• Benefit: Superb quality control and employment record
• Feature: External Power Supply (100-130V, 200-250V user-selectable)
• Benefit: Spec'd specifically to increase headroom and lower the noise floor - one model for use anywhere in the known world
• Tip: Plug in here first and then into the wall unless you need enjoy pyrotechnics
Chassis & Ground
• Feature: Utilized for grounding systems where the chassis and audio ground need to be separate (but equal)
• Benefit: If you know what it means to telescope your shields and drop in a grounding bus bar, then this is for you
• Feature: Feeds the analog input of a Dangerous Monitor, Dangerous Monitor ST or an existing console
• Tip: The mon out switch on the front panel will determine whether the input signal (post input level and input monitor offset) or the output signal (post processing) is sent
Main 1 & Main 2 Outputs
• Feature: Feed any 2-track mixdown medium (i.e. external A/D converter, laptop, field recorder, CD writer, analog 2-track or back into the session)
• Benefit: Often 2 different A/D converters or mediums are auditioned to determine the most suitable destination for the program material
• Feature: Connect 3 stereo analog outboard processors here on balanced sends and returns
• Benefit: A/B different combinations of outboard gear, while maintaining a balanced signal all the way through
• Tip: Insert 1 place a stereo EQ here to set the tone correct for the rest of the stack; Insert 2 place a parametric EQ, De-Esser and Limiter here to fix any problem with a mix; Insert 3 place a Compressor here to control dynamic range for loudness
Mastering-Grade Components: Components selected for both performance and sound, tested to draconian tolerances, breathe the analog soul back to life for stunning imaging, headroom, punch and detail.
DC-Coupled: No transformers that color your sound or filter caps that smear stereo. Instead, DC coupling with massive voltage rails and Mogami point-to-point wiring for simple, electronic elegance. Bandwidth from DC to light.
Audio Transparency: A pristine canvas for painting sonic landscapes utilizing your own personal arsenal of plug-ins and outboard gear.
Hand-Assembled In USA: Avoids 6,000 miles of oceanic circuit board rattling, while keeping Americans employed.
Stringent Quality Control: An exceptionally low failure rate keeps you in the studio mixing, not at the UPS store shipping repairs.
Warranty: 2 years, because it's built to last a lifetime.
Guitar Center's Pro Coverage
Pro Coverage gives you added warranty protection for your gear. Stepping in where the manufacturer's "normal wear and tear" coverage ends, our Pro Coverage program offers you upgraded coverage if your product ever fails Click To Read More About This Product.
Our product catalog varies by country due to manufacturer restrictions. If you change the Ship-To country, some or all of the items in your cart may not ship to the new destination.