The TerryPack I expansion pack is a whole DVD that's totally Terry!
Terry Bozzio's playing is all about blending different music genres and then adding a new sound or unexpected lick that can propel a groove forward. Words like "fun" and "playful" come to mind, as well as "intense." It's technical virtuosity in service to the groove. From the 80s progressive pop of Missing Persons to the technically "over the top" compositions of UK and Frank Zappa to his Grammy-winning work with Jeff Beck, Terry's playing has inspired some great compositions and instrumental performances.
TerryPack I shows a player that's a hybrid of punk enthusiasm, incredible chops and a melodic approach to drumming. It features aggressive, odd-metered grooves full of crashing custom-made China cymbals, four-on-the-floor pop, smoking double-kick grooves and delicate, melodic bell and tom rhythms that fit perfect into moody soundtrack scores.
• Dragged - It's a U...S..DRAG! A twisted, 80s frenetic 16th note pop beat that pushes and builds with wild percussion and stacked-cymbal accents. 80-120 bpm (Approximate optimal tempo range, based on recordings.)
• Four on the Floor - Incessantly moving you up like a musical escalator, nobody walks in LA when they can bop to this straight-up pop beat. Variations include sidestick, sparse, skittering hi-hat, and trademark china cymbal accents. Bet you can't write just one song! 90-170 bpm.
• Rocked Punk - Boom-CRACK, Boom-Boom CRACK! Sloshy hats and double-kick variations. Happy beats, skinny ties and loud guitars! 90-160 bpm.
• Seven 8 - This 7/8 sizzles along. Deft hi-hat and snare counterpoint with unexpected turnarounds. Double kick pattern variations at higher tempos turn-up the heat. 120-140 bpm.
• Six 8 Half Time - Prog meets jazz waltz? Ghost snare hits, sock cymbal, delicate, moody ride and occasional double kick flourishes. Ballads deluxe! 120-180 bpm.
• Slow Torture - Heavy beats with a funky edge to slowly dissect your spine. 60-110 bpm with crazy double kick here and there to keep things surprising.
• The Big Kit - Here Terry explores a more filmic approach with his huge kit and all the sonic goodies therein. Bells, chinas, and melodic toms give a Balinese flavor. Slow tempos (45-70 bpm) and smoldering anticipation.