The original Nord Lead and Nord Lead 2 are among the most popular synthesizers ever built. Used extensively in studios, onstage, and on records by the world's greatest artists, the Nord Lead's have contributed their characteristic sound on hit song after hit song.
So why change a winning concept, you may ask. Well, Nord didn't change the concept - or the sound, for that matter. They simply improved the concept and upgraded the hardware to make it possible for the Virtual Analog sound to live on for many more years to come!
The Nord Rack 2X synth has the same characteristic sound and functions as the Nord Lead 2, with some very nice improvements:
X-tra polyphony: The Nord Rack 2X synth comes with 20 voices of polyphony - very useful when creating layered sounds, "power pads," awesome leads, and booming basses. 20 voices are also very beneficial in sequencing situations when you use more than one sound at a time.
X-tra memory: The Nord Rack 2X comes with a large internal memory holding 4 x 99 user Programs, 100 user Performances, and 4 x 10 user Percussion Kits plus 6 x 99 factory Programs and 3 x 100 factory Performances! The Nord Rack 2X synthesizer is 100% patch compatible with the Nord Lead 2, which means that you can transfer sounds directly between the models via MIDI.
X-tra high resolution: The awesome sound in the Nord Rack 2X is refined even further thanks to the brand new, crystal clear 24-bit DACs running at 96kHz.
- 20-voice polyphony; 4-part multitimbral
- Memory holds 4 x 99 user programs, 100 user performances, and 4 x 10 user percussion kits plus 6 x 99 factory programs and 3 x 100 factory performances
- 100% patch-compatible with the Nord Lead 2
- 24-bit DACs running at 96kHz
- Velocity programming: Each function that is controlled by a knob can be programmed to be controlled by velocity
- Morphing: Each function that is controlled by a knob can also be controlled by the modulation wheel/pedal to continuously fade between two sets of values
- Performance controllers
- 4-octave velocity sensitive keyboard
- Octave Shift buttons (+/-2 oct.)
- Keyboard Split, two sections
- Wooden Pitch Stick center
- Modulation Wheel
- Sustain and expression pedal inputs
- User interface
- 3-digit LED display, 26 knobs and 27 buttons for program editing
- Oscillator section
- Oscillator 1 generating sine, triangle, sawtooth or pulse wave with adjustable width. Oscillator 2 generating triangle, sawtooth or pulse (with adjustable width) and can also generate noise with a color control. Oscillator 2 can be hard synched to oscillator 1. Linear deep frequency modulation of osc 1 from osc 2
- Filter section
- 12 dB "2 pole" lowpass, 24 dB "4 pole" lowpass, bandpass or highpass
- Notch + Lowpass
- Cut off, resonance, envelope amount, envelope amount controlled by velocity. ADSR envelope
- Filter keyboard tracking can be set to full, 2/3, 1/3 or off
- Filter distortion
- Amplifier section
- ADSR envelope, gain control
- Modulation section
- LFO 1 generating triangle, saw, pulse, LF filtered noise and random staircase routed to Osc 1+2, Osc 2, filter, pulse-width and FM amount
- LFO 2 produces a triangle waveform, routed to Osc 1 and 2 or amplifier
- Arpeggiator: Range: 1 - 4 octave
- Modes: up, down, up/down, random
- Echo can be set between 1 and 8 repeats Modulation envelope (attack, decay) for Osc 2 pitch, FM amount and pulse width.
- Performance section
- Play mode: Poly, legato, mono, unison mono, unison poly
- Manual mode
- Four program slots for layering possibilities
- Portamento/Auto portamento
- Percussion kits
- 40 user "analog" percussion kits
- Each percussion kit holds 8 independent sounds, configured in 8 zones across the keyboard
- Internal memory
- Programs (single sounds): 990 (396 (4 x 99) user, 594 (6 x 99) factory).
- Performances (multi sounds): 400 (100 user, 300 (3 x 100) factory).
- Percussion kits (multi zone sounds): 40 (4 x 10) user
- Audio Out:
- 4 outputs - Each slot can have its own output Modes: Stereo, mono and multitimbral mode. Headphones output
- High-resolution, low-noise 24-bit DACs running at 96kHz
- MIDI features
- All control knobs and switches for program editing transmit and receive Control Change messages
- System exclusive bulk dumps
- One Program/Performance or all Programs/Performances in a bank
- MIDI clock synchronizing LFO 1 and LFO 2/arpeggiator restart
- Triggering of the filter and amplifier envelopes and velocity control from separate programmable MIDI channel and note numbers
- Fully patch compatible with Nord Lead 2/Nord Rack 2