The Fender Esquire was the first guitar sold by Fender in 1950. Shortly after its introduction, a two-pickup version named the Broadcaster was introduced. The single pickup version retained the Esquire name. At the time, the Gretsch Company had already marketed a drum set under the 'Broadkaster' name, and, at their request, Fender renamed it the 'Telecaster.' Although the one-pickup Esquire was manufactured first, it is now generally regarded as a variant of the more popular Telecaster.